The Malaysian uses anchovies ( ikan bilis ) in many ways including in Sambal Nasi Lemak or Fried and eat as snacks. For its small size it will not taste that bad like the bigger ones. This is mostly gutted and scaled and cleaned. Try it and you will love it. Only at Malaysian Food Supermarket United Kingdom.
Ingredients: Anchovy (Fish)
Allergy Advice: For allergens see ingredients in bold.
Net Weight: 200g
Product of: Vietnam (Near Malaysia)
Keep sealed once open
An anchovy is a small, common forage fish. Most species are found in marine waters, but several will enter brackish water and some in South America are restricted to fresh water. Anchovies are usually classified as oily fish.
In Malaysia, anchovies are widely used in many dishes and the most famous ones would be Sambal (hot chilli gravy) and Nasi Lemak (rice cooked in coconut milk). Sometimes fried anchovies are also served as a snack in between meal times.
You can also simmer anchovies in water for about 15 minutes to make a delicious stock that can serve as a base for making Korean soups and stews
Sambal Nasi Lemak
15-20 dried chillies*
2-3 tbsp oil
1 big onion, sliced thinly
200g peeled ikan bilis, soak in water and drain
1 tbsp tamarind, soaked in ½ cup water to extract the juice
Salt and sugar, to taste
Blend the shallots and dried chillies finely.
Heat up the oil, and fry the blended ingredients over low heat, stirring from time to time until fragrant and the oil floats to the top.
Add the sliced onion, and fry for about three minutes.
Add the ikan bilis and increase the heat to medium.
Fry for another three minutes to mix the ikan bilis and sambal.
Add tamarind juice, and bring to a simmer. Then, lower the heat and cook till the oil floats to the top.
Cook it to the consistency you like – if you want a dry sambal, cook it longer.
Season. Add salt sparingly as the ikan bilis is salty. If you like your sambal sweet, use more sugar.
Serve with rice, or use as sandwich filling.
* To remove the seeds, snip the dried chillies into small pieces and sieve out the seeds in a colander. Then, soak the dried chillies in hot water. The remaining seeds will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the chillies will float to the surface. Use a slotted spoon to remove the chillies.
Additional info: Better double layer packing and can be stored longer in dry and cool place.
2 servings per container
Serving size 100g
Amount per serving
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3g 4%
Saturated Fat 1.4g 7%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 560mg 25%
Total Carbohydrate 0g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0g 0%
Total Sugars 0g
Includes 0g Added Sugars 0%
Vitamin D 0mcg 0%
Calcium 0mg 0%
Iron 0mg 0%
Potassium 0mg 0%
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
MALAYSIAN EASY NASI LEMAK RECIPE
- Rice Cooker
- 3 cup Rice
- 3 slices Ginger
- 3 bulbs Red Onion
- 1 cup Santan
- 1 leaf Lemongrass
- 2 leaf Pandan
- 6 tbsp Ground Chili (Cili Giling)
- 1 bulb French Onion
- 1 bulb French Onion (Pounded)
- 3 bulb Red Onion (Pounded)
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 little cup Tamarind water (agak-agak 🙂 ask the malays
- 1 palm Anchovies (half pounded)(half fried)
- 1 tbsp sugar, salt, seasoning (i.e secukup rasa)
- Wash the rice with water until clean then drain.
- Prepare the pan and heat the oil then saute the lemongrass, pandan leaves, ginger, onion until fragrant.
- Add water and coconut milk then bring to a boil. add salt and stir well.
- Pour the rice we have tossed into the rice cooker. then we also pour the coconut milk that we have cooked earlier and cook the rice as usual.
- Saute ground chilli, garlic, onion, anchovies, and shallots until oil breaks (pecah minyak).
- Then add sliced onion, tamarind juice, and a little water so that the sauce is not thick.
- When it is boiling, add the anchovies that we have fried earlier and adjust the taste.
- Add other side ingredients such as eggs, cucumber, and peanuts to dress
While every care has been taken to ensure product information is correct,food products are constantly being reformulated, so ingredients, nutrition content, dietary and allergens may change. You should always read the product label and not rely solely on the information provided on the website. Please report any discrepancies through our chat system. Your help is much appreciated.
|*Shipping Weight||250 g|
|Dimensions||19 × 15 × 4 cm|