Fermented shrimp is similar to ‘Belacan’
Brand: Nang Fah (Tue Kung)
Ingredients: Fermented Shrimp(Crustacean)(77%), Salt.
Allergy Advice: For allergens see ingredients in bold.
Net Weight: 200g
Product of: Malaysia
Keep refrigerated and sealed once open and use within a month.
Store in a cool, dry place and away from sunlight
Belacan (pronounced buh-LAH-chan) is one of the most important, and by far, the most pungent ingredient in Malaysian cookery. Unlike the oily, garlicky shrimp paste used in Thai curries, belacan is a hardened block of shrimp paste, made from tiny shrimp mixed with salt and fermented. The fermented paste is then ground into a smoother paste, then sun dried, shaped into blocks, and allowed to ferment again. The resulting blocks are chalky and only slightly moist. Powerful in both smell and taste, belacan is always toasted and used in small quantities, providing a savory depth to curries and pastes. (Play around with the amount of belacan you prefer in your sambals. If, like me, you always add more than the recommended number of anchovies to your Caesar salad dressings, you may just want to add an extra half teaspoon or so of belacan to your sambals!) (source: seriouseats.com)
MALAYSIAN SAMBAL BELACAN THAT ROCKS
- Pestel & Mortar or Blender
- 6 medium Fresh Chillies
- 2 medium Bird's Eye Chillies
- 2 inch Belacan (Fermented Shrimp)
- 2 Shallots
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 medium Tomato
- 1 Lemon
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Salt
- Take out stalks from red chilies and bird's eye chilies.
- Break the chilies into several pieces using your hand. (Traditionally believed that if you use a knife to cut them, the taste will not be the same!)
- Chop the tomato
- Put chilies, tomatoes, shallots, belacan and garlic into a pestle.
- Pound them with the mortar according the the consistency you prefer.
- Scoop the mixture into a bowl. Spoon two tablespoon of water into the pestle to dilute the remains of the sambal and pour the water into the bowl.
- Add in lime juice, salt and sugar.
Additional info: Colour may change overtime
200g servings per container
Serving size 100g
Amount per serving
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2.3g 3%
Saturated Fat 1.4g 7%
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 1148mg 50%
Total Carbohydrate 2.2g 1%
Dietary Fiber 1.5g 5%
Total Sugars 0.2g
Includes 0g Added Sugars 0%
Vitamin D 0mcg 0%
Calcium 0mg 0%
Iron 0mg 0%
Potassium 0mg 0%
The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
While every care has been taken to ensure product information is correct,food products are constantly being reformulated, so ingredients, nutrition content, dietary and allergens may change. You should always read the product label and not rely solely on the information provided on the website. Please report any discrepancies through our chat system. Your help is much appreciated.
|*Shipping Weight||254 g|
|Dimensions||8 × 8 × 9 cm|